A gardener may do all kinds of jobs connected with plants, such as planting, watering, and removing weeds. The duties of a gardener vary with the type of job he or she has. For example, in a garden that is used for research purposes, the job would include lots of record-keeping and labeling specimens. In a public park or botanical garden, the work might include landscaping as well as maintaining existing plantings. At home, gardening might simply mean weeding or planting flowers in your backyard.
The garden could be professional, or it could be at home. A good gardener must have the ability to recognize and identify different types of plants and their needs.
Regardless of the type of job a gardener has, he or she must be well-versed in all aspects of plant life. From fertilization to watering, a gardener must be thoroughly familiar with the plant life he or she is working with.
You can get involved in any of these activities, but it is important to find a job that you are passionate about. A good gardening job will provide you with plenty of social interaction, as well as the chance to meet other residents with similar interests. It might even be a good idea to consider a job that you can quit if you so choose!
Scott’s Garden Centre, Orillia, ON, Canada, Needs A Gardener
The company needs a knowledgeable and efficient worker to help in the gardening/maintenance crew for the season. The responsibility of a gardener is to ensure that a yard’s plants, outdoor spaces, and trees remain beautiful. They may work in local parks, hotels, farms, and nurseries. Gardeners can work in local parks, hotels, farms, and nurseries. Interested gardeners should have at least two(2) years of Horticulture experience with vast knowledge in maintenance of the garden, garden installs, and reading designs.
Gardener responsibilities include:
The Gardener helps in creating a beautiful, thriving landscape by improving soil, maintaining a healthy plant population, and providing adequate water for a healthy root system. Some responsibilities of the Gardener may include:
- Maintaining a healthy soil by adding compost,
- maintaining a healthy plant population by removing unwanted plants,
- providing adequate water for a healthy root system by checking for overwatering and construction materials that cause floods
- Maintaining lawns and other green spaces.
- Installing landscapes and seasonal flower designs
- Monitoring and ensuring plant health
- Location: Orillia, ON, Canada
- Salary: $19.00-$25.00 per hour
- Terms of employment: Seasonal employment
- Full time
- Schedule: 10-hour shift, 12-hour shift, 8-hour shift
- Start date: Starts as soon as the season starts
- vacancies: one vacancy
Scott’s Garden Centre is looking for a Gardener to install and maintain the flowers, trees, and green spaces on the property. The job involves walking the property, maintaining the turf, and looking after the plants and flowers. This is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with plants.
The work is mostly manual, but you will also be required to mow the lawn, maintain the irrigation system, pick up leaves and branches and remove the trash. It might seem like a simple job, but it needs to be done well to avoid looking messy. So if you are the kind of person who enjoys maintaining gardens and enjoys working with plants, this is a great job for you.
- Mow, trim and fertilize green spaces
- Install and maintain seasonal plants
- Prune and trim trees and bushes
- Deal with pest problems that could damage plants
- Maintain and grow the garden to ensure it meets specific requirements and expectations.
- Mulch, edge, and weed gardens
- Plant and nurture new trees, flowers, and various plants.
- Advise management on the costs of plants and garden necessities with detailed written quotations and reports.
- Monitor and maintain the health of plants
- Maintain all gardening equipment and machinery, like mowers, trimmers, and leaf blowers
- Guide management on matters related to the garden.
- Keep gardens and green spaces clear of debris and litter
- Perform basic maintenance such as cutting the grass, emptying bins, managing weed control, and leaf raking.
- Work with hand tools and basic light machinery such as plant vehicles and small diggers.
- Service all garden equipment and machinery.
- Maintain a clean garden by clearing rubbish and litter from the garden and grounds.
- Ensure a safe environment for staff and clients by adhering to safety and health regulations
Requirements and skills
- Familiarity with landscaping design
- Knowledge of local pests and how to eliminate them
- Experience as a Gardener
- A high school degree diploma, GED, or equivalent
- The ability to operate required equipment and tools in a responsible manner
- Knowledge of synthetic and natural fertilizers
- The ability to remain on your feet for long periods
- Extensive knowledge of regional plant life
- Knowledge of state health and safety regulations for landscaping
- A love of the outdoors and plant life
- A Valid driver’s license with a safe driving record
Other Job requirements
Ability to speak English fluently
Education: A high school degree diploma, GED, or equivalent
License: Must have a G license
Experience: Horticulture: Two (2) years
Additional Skills: Water and tend to plants, lawns, and/or gardens
Area of Specialization: Plant knowledge and identification
Own Tools/Equipment: Gloves; Mask
Work Site Environment: Outdoors
Transportation/Travel Information: Valid driver’s license
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Repetitive tasks;
- Must be willing to work 40-50 hours per week
- Handling heavy loads;
- Physically demanding;
- Manual dexterity;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to distinguish between colours;
- Combination of sitting, standing, and walking;
- Standing for extended periods; Bending, crouching, kneeling
Work Location Information
Orillia, ON; reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work preferably
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Good communication skill
- Time Management skill
- Client focus;
Landscape and Horticulture Technicians and Specialists’ Specific Skills
Plant and maintain private and public lawns and gardens
Gardener Screening questions:
- Are you using organic and non-GMO foods?
- Are you soaking your ingredients?
- Are you using a slow-release fertilizer?
- Are you using a drip irrigation system?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?;
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?;
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?;
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
Who can apply for this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
check their official website for full info:
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- Cover letter
- References attesting experience